Oprah also gave an impassioned speech in Marietta, calling on people to vote and saying, "For anybody here who has an ancestor who didn't have the right to vote, and you are choosing not to vote - wherever you are in this state, in this country-you are dishonoring your family".
"I was sitting at home in California, minding my own business, but I could not stop hearing about what's going on down here", Winfrey said, charming the crowd that had gathered to see her. I'm not trying to test any waters. "I'm here today because of Stacey Abrams".
Abrams, a graduate of Yale Law School, was the minority leader in the Georgia State House of Representatives and is in a closely fought race against Georgia GOP Secretary of State Brian Kemp to succeed Republican Gov. Nathan Deal.
She was in the state on Thursday campaigning for Abrams, cheering "everybody gets a vote!"
The ruling said allowing these people to vote was in the public's best interest.
If elected Abrams would be the state's first black governor. And so I promise that every single person who votes for Stacey Abrams, you're going to get a new auto!
After Thursday's dueling outsiders, former president Barack Obama will follow on Friday for Abrams.
The announcement, which contained no details on the alleged "cyber crimes" that it suggests state Democrats were involved in, was immediately condemned as a political ploy by Democrats and some commentators, who believe Kemp should not oversee an election in which he is competing. If the person shows up to the polls without proper documentation then officials must let them come back with proof or allow them to cast a provisional ballot, giving them until the Friday after the election to return with proof of citizenship.
Speaking on CNN's "State of the Union "on Sunday, Abrams called the announcement a distraction and political move to sway voters in the final hours of the race".
"I'm an African-American woman who is charting a very different path to doing this", Abrams told CNN last month.
- Trump to announce asylum rule change
- Can Manchester United win the Premier League this season?
- Diablo Immortal brings Diablo universe to mobile
- J.R. Smith Reveals He Wants Trade From Cleveland Cavaliers
- 49ers cheerleader takes a knee during national anthem
- Kim Kardashian Reveals The Sad Reason She’s Unsure About Having More Kids
- The Yemen war, a "hell on earth" for children
- Junket tourism
- Separate customs territory for Northern Ireland 'unacceptable': PM May's spokeswoman
- European Union to pilot AI facial analysis to catch dishonest travelers