In situations when a tight offside has been given and a team is celebrating, usually the referee will delay the match to make sure all players are ready for the retake.
However, Mitrovic's goal should have stood as the screenshot above of the controversial moment Tom Cairney delivered the cross to the Fulham striker shows that Mitrovic is being played on side by Liverpool full-back Andy Robertson.
After an impeccably-observed minute's silence to mark the centenary of the Armistice in World War I, it was Liverpool who started the stronger.
"We scored a clearer goal, which was not offside, and didn't get it".
"We scored a lot of goals last season", Robertson said, "but this season we have been solid at the back as well".
"If you ask me I always want them to stay here", he added. It's hard to see for the ref but there's a clear foul on Robbo.
This was not a hugely improved performance from Liverpool after their poor display against Red Star Belgrade, but it was enough to see off a Fulham side bereft of confidence. But before that somebody had held him.
Meanwhile, Liverpool FC manager Jurgen Klopp was happy with the performance, although he admits that his side could have found the net more often.
"We scored twice, maybe it's a bit odd that one was after a quick restart and one after a set-piece, the second ball phase, but that's very important as well that you have these situations and you can use it". We can not change it. Fulham can not change it.
The result left Chelsea in third place on 28 points, two points behind Liverpool and one behind champions Manchester City who were hosting local rivals Manchester United later on Sunday. So I'm completely happy.
Shaqiri twice messed up shots from good positions and the home side's profligacy should really have been punished, with Ryan Sessegnon dragging wide when clean through on goal before Alisson nearly parried an Andre Schurrle shot into his path.
"We can talk about this situation for hours, but the damage is done".
However, Liverpool are in discussions with the Football Association about whether Joe Gomez will feature in England's two fixtures next week after a taxing period. Hendo is 100 percent fit and needs games as well.
- Sterling commits to Man City with 2023 deal
- Player Unknown’s Battlegrounds is headed to Xbox Game Pass
- Rockets coaches, players think Carmelo Anthony is on his way out
- HOUSE: Democrats close in on taking back control of House
- Woman, 50, Arrested After Needles Found In Strawberries
- Kevin Anderson rates his chances ahead of ATP Finals
- Legislation to Protect Robert Mueller Still Not on Senate Agenda, McConnell Says
- FDA to launch new restrictions on e-cigarette flavors, store sales
- TOP 25 REWIND: No. 4 Duke set to climb after Kentucky romp
- Garcia's lead in Sun City cut to 1 by Oosthuizen