It is estimated that flu vaccination prevents millions of flu illnesses and tens of thousands of hospitalizations.
Symptoms of flu, which is spread by coughs and sneezes or touching surfaces on which germs have landed, include fever, chills, headaches, aches and pains in joints and muscles and extreme tiredness.
The Idaho Department of Health and Welfare reported Friday that the first flu-related death happened this week.
Other groups being encouraged to take up the offer of a free vaccination are pregnant women, parents of children aged 2 and 3 years old and adults with underlying health conditions.
The seasonal flu vaccine protects against three or four influenza viruses this year.
"Influenza can influence cardiovascular events especially in high-risk individuals, so we should not be complacent about vaccination", said Dr. Scott Solomon, the study's senior author and a professor of medicine at Harvard Medical School and Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston.
One is that the flu vaccine can give you the flu. That's the eventual goal of researchers at the University of Iowa who are working with the National Institutes of Health to develop what they call a "universal" flu shot.
The following news release was issued by the Simcoe Muskoka District Health Unit regarding flu vaccines.
"Flu-mist is a live virus, the one that people get in their nose, but we don't recommend it because it's a live virus and it's not as effective as the shot".
Some people are still catching the flu despite the multiple ways to avoid contracting. Kevin Legge, a U-I pathology professor, says they're working in stages and are trying to flawless a multi-year flu shot first.
Many misconceptions about the flu vaccine linger.
The influenza vaccine does not guarantee protection against the flu but it does lower the chances in contracting it. People should take additional precautions to lower their risk, including those who received the vaccine.
- Kim Kardashian forced to flee her home amid Woolsey Canyon wildfire
- Mysterious cigar-shaped interstellar object may be alien spacecraft: Harvard researchers
- Pop star’s mushroom cloud t-shirt bombs in Japan
- Tesla announces Elon Musk's replacement as board chair: Robyn Denholm
- Trump appointment of acting AG likely violated constitution, Democrats charge
- Florida finds itself again at centre of election controversy
- Lakers sign Tyson Chandler after buyout from Suns
- More than 300 arrested as New Delhi plunged into toxic Diwali smog
- Backstreet Boys to perform at United Center
- Get This: Billboard names Ariana Grande 2018 Woman of the Year