He was the NBA Defensive Player of the Year for the 2011-12 season and played in the All-Star Game the following season. He will sign a one-year deal with the team for the rest of the season.
Tyson Chandler is about to be on the move.
"I am grateful for my time in Phoenix and want to thank my teammates, my coaches, the front office and the fans for an fantastic experience." said Chandler.
After agreeing to a buyout with the Phoenix Suns on Saturday, Chandler plans to sign with the Lakers when he clears waivers, according to a report by ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski. And he's appeared in 1,086 games, which is 10th most among all active National Basketball Association players. Though Moritz Wagner could also potentially log minutes at the 5, his ongoing development will be a long process for the Lakers.
While the 2018-19 sample (15 shots) is not meaningful, Chandler saw his rim protection slip the previous two seasons. So they'll still have to figure out their defense without Chandler for their back-to-back this weekend.
Chandler is earning $13.6 million this season which essentially guarantees he will pass through waivers easily.
Might the Lakers have been better off waiting?
While Chandler has struggled to be on the court in recent years, playing 47 games in games in 2016-17 and 46 games in 2017-18.
As the Los Angeles Lakers will assembling their roster via free agency, it quickly became apparent they lacked size.
There are various reasons why a move like this had to happen NOW for the Lakers.
Chandler should provide some much-needed depth to the Lakers' group of centers. If, however, the Lakers consider the position fixed with the addition of Chandler, they may regret that decision.
- Klopp: Milner 'Is Like Wine, A Very Good Red One.'
- Oprah Winfrey Responds to 'Racist Robocalls' in Georgia
- Fox News doesn't condone Hannity appearance with Trump
- Why Ash Barty's title triumph is bad news for Serena Williams
- 10-year-old girl charged with killing baby at day care
- Go vote, then get some free food, drinks
- Fortnite's Cube Exploded and Threw Players Into an Endless Void
- 'I Don't Care' if House Democrats Release My Tax Returns
- Apple cancels production boost for iPhone XR: Nikkei
- No back-to-back games for Leonard, coach says