Must be exclusively of Pakistani, Indian or Iranian descent, meaning the donor's birth parents are both 100% Pakistani, Indian or Iranian.
While the blood won't cure Zainab's cancer, it will allow her to undergo two bone marrow transplants, which will make her stronger and allow doctors to give her higher doses of chemotherapy, Forbes said.
It is most common in infants and children under age five, rarely occurring in older children.
But statistically speaking, very few people have Indian B antigen missing from their blood, which makes finding a match virtually hard if not impossible.
OneBlood, which runs blood donor centers across the Southeast, is sharing Zainab's story in the hopes more people who meet the specific donor criteria will come forward to donate for the little girl. Because the antigen is so common, it makes it hard to find blood donors who are lacking it as well, Forbes said.
And even within these ethnic groups, fewer than 4% have the genetic variation. Narrowing the field further is the fact that donors would also need to be missing the "Indian B" antigen commonly found in blood, just like Zainab.
The non-profit blood donation organization OneBlood launched a campaign in a bid to find people who can donate blood to Zainab Mughal. As of now, three donors have been located, one of whom is from the United Kingdom.
"She's going to need to be completely supported by blood donations in order to survive the cancer treatment in order to kill this cancer", Bright said.
"What you're doing to save a human life, my daughter's life, is incredible", says Mughal.
In an effort to find donors, OneBlood is working with the American Rare Donor Program, a cooperative of the American Red Cross and the American Association of Blood Banks that operates a database of more than 80,000 rare donors in the U.S. The hunt has now turned global with OneBlood, a not-for-profit organisation that procures blood and blood products, joining in the search.
- The Network got live shots of the Samsung Galaxy S10
- Jay Gruden Says Redskins Considered Colin Kaepernick
- Canada arrests CFO of China's Huawei Technologies
- Cardi B announces split from Offset - the internet is a mess!
- Trade war, day 153: China affirms ‘very successful’ trade meeting
- Patriots QB Brady finally joins 1000-yard rushing club
- Manchester United have considerable defensive worries ahead of Arsenal clash
- Newcastle United 0 West Ham 3
- Packers Fire Coach For Ripping Aaron Rodgers and Team in Tweet
- Mobile phone network down across the Isle of Wight