With Benjamin traded out of Carolina last season and released from the Bills this season, Benjamin should understand that whether it's the Chiefs or any other team. he is running out of chances. Instead, he's a free agent now.
Benjamin, a vested veteran, has a base salary of $8.459 million.
The 27-year-old Benjamin was relased by the Buffalo Bills on Tuesday and had gone unclaimed on waivers.
Now, Watkins' 2014 NFL Draft class mate will fill in during that span. Benjamin is coming off a poor 2018 campaign with the Bills, as he only caught 23 of his 62 targets for 354 yards and one touchdown.
A detail of the official National Football League NFL logo is seen painted on the turf as the New York Giants host the Atlanta Falcons during their NFC Wild Card Playoff game at MetLife Stadium on January 8, 2012 in East Rutherford, New Jersey.
Benjamin, a first-round pick in 2014, was released despite the steep cost to the Bills in acquiring him from the Carolina Panthers. He flourished in his first season with the Panthers, racking up over 1,000 yards and nine touchdowns.
Benjamin was collegiate teammates with Chiefs' offensive lineman Cameron Erving and linebacker Terrance Smith at Florida State, where all three players shared the field together during the Seminoles' championship season in 2013.
The Chiefs signed Kelvin Benjamin this week to get some depth at the position.
The Chiefs have Tyreek Hill at receiver and a great tight end in Travis Kelce, but not a ton of pass catchers beyond them now that Watkins is out.
- Southwest plane skids off the runway in rainy weather in California
- Job Growth Slowed in November, Unemployment Still at 3.7%
- Top house Democrats discuss impeachment, almost-certain prison time, for President Trump
- Princess Charlotte and Prince Charles share a love of ballets
- Lionel Messi's Free-Kick Magic Keeps Barcelona On Top Read In
- GOP disempowers state offices in lame duck session before Democrats take them
- Wisconsin radio station pulls 'Baby, It's Cold Outside'
- River Plate wins Copa Libertadores final in Madrid
- Body found in NZ search for missing British backpacker
- Putin: If US develops banned missiles, so will Russian Federation