MLB veterans Jose Valbuena, 34, and Jose Castillo, 37, lost their lives in a vehicle crash after a playing in a Venezuela Professional Baseball League game.
Castillo last played in the big leagues in 2008, appearing in 15 games for the Houston Astros.
Valbuena, 33, joined the Major League Baseball in 2008.
They and Venezuela Winter League teammate Carlos Rivero, who was injured but survived the wreck, were passengers in the vehicle.
The club tweeted, "We are living a frightful tragedy in Cardenales de Lara".
"We are saddened by the tragic news that Luis Valbuena and former major leaguer Jose Castillo have died in a auto accident", Major League Baseball said in a tweet. Both played for the team Thursday. It's unclear how much money Castillo may have earned while playing. He spent time with the Seattle Mariners, Cleveland Indians, Chicago Cubs, and Houston Astros before his stint with the Angels. "Our thoughts and prayers are with their loved ones during this time of grief", the Angels said in a statement.
Castillo, in the meantime, had a mildly successful Major League Baseball career but did receive extended playing time in Latin America, where he'd made a name for himself since 2008.
He played mostly second base and third base. He collected four hits in seven at-bats (.571 average) while hitting a home run and driving in three runs. He's played in the Venezuelan Winter League every year since 2006.
- Mortal Kombat 11 bringing more ultraviolence in April
- CNN Offices Evacuated Over Bomb Threat During Don Lemon Show
- Jose Mourinho: Manchester United boss happy at club, says agent
- Trump to Name State Department's Heather Nauert UN Ambassador
- City won't be rattled by Reds pursuit, says Klopp
- North Carolina congressional candidate withdraws concession
- What A Yield Curve Inversion Means For Traders
- China 'confident' of U.S. trade deal in 90 days as questions mount
- Crackdown on Italian mob prompts dozens of arrests in Europe
- British backpacker's disappearance in New Zealand being treated as suspected murder