O2 customers have been locked out of their mobile data with thousands unable to access the internet and 4G services.
Tesco Mobile and Sky Mobile customers are also said to be experiencing issues, with more than 30 million people affected in total.
"One of our third party suppliers has identified a global software issue in their system which has impacted us", it said.
The outage tool - which allows customers to check if their area is affected - was also down.
Angus Council tweeted: "All parking meters in our off -street auto parks are unavailable for use due to network issues which are now affecting a number of services UK-wide".
"The faulty software that has caused these issues is being decommissioned and we apologize not only to our customers but also to their customers", Ekholm said.
Some users have also reported problems with making voice calls, despite claims from O2 that voice services are unaffected.
O2 has confirmed problems with mobile data across its network this morning (Thursday, December 6, 2018).).
O2 said its technical teams are working with its supplier's teams to fix the problem.
It said: "Our technical teams are investigating reports of issues when using data".
O2 customers are struggling to access the internet and other services after a massive data failure this morning. For the millions of users who are out and about and rely on smartphone maps to get around, it's worth considering that apps like Google Maps allow customers to download maps on Wi-Fi and view them offline.
The first issues were reported at around 5.30am on Thursday.
"Updates will be shared here as soon they are available".
- Patriots QB Brady finally joins 1000-yard rushing club
- Greenhouse Gas Emissions to Set Record
- French protests ahead despite Macron concession
- This simple test could one day tell you if you have cancer
- Chelsea players had too much confidence, says Maurizio Sarri
- Canada arrests CFO of China's Huawei Technologies
- Jay Gruden Says Redskins Considered Colin Kaepernick
- Packers Fire Coach For Ripping Aaron Rodgers and Team in Tweet
- Trade war, day 153: China affirms ‘very successful’ trade meeting
- India vs Australia: Five Indian Bowlers To Watch Out For