Saturday, 19 January 2019
Latest news
Main » North Carolina congressional candidate withdraws concession

North Carolina congressional candidate withdraws concession

08 December 2018
North Carolina congressional candidate withdraws concession

The midterms are not over in North Carolina's 9th district.

"Over the last week, we have seen the criminal activity come to light, and we have seen that my opponent Mark Harris has bankrolled this criminal activity", McCready told Charlotte, North Carolina, television state WSOC-TV on Thursday.

But in recent days, with more evidence surfacing of absentee ballot fraud, including the possible destruction of ballots from Democrats, McCready withdrew his concession on Thursday, accusing Harris of knowingly supporting 'criminal activity'.

But on Thursday, amid mounting evidence of electoral fraud in Harris's race, House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi said that Congress might not seat the Republican with the rest of his class. Last night, Griffin reported that the ballot harvesting allegedly conducted by Dowless may have also involved the destruction of more than a thousand ballots.

The main issue: Harris won an unusually high percentage of the absentee mail-in vote in Bladen County. The state Board of Elections and Ethics Enforcement said it wouldn't certify the results of the race between Harris and McCready.

McCready's announcement comes as North Carolina election officials continue to investigate potential allegations of electoral fraud and other voting issues related to absentee ballots. She also noted the investigative power of the House to determine race winners.

McCready conceded the race the day after the November 6 election and did not ask for the recount he was entitled to in such a close election.

The NRCC's regional political director and point person for North Carolina campaigns, Tyler Foote, has since moved on to become Harris's prospective chief of staff.

"If there is what appears to be a very substantial question on the integrity of the election, clearly we would oppose Mr. Harris being seated until that is resolved", said Representative Steny Hoyer, a Maryland Democrat and incoming House majority leader.

A state election board spokesman confirmed Thursday that subpoenas seeking documents had been sent to the Harris campaign, the Red Dome Group, which worked for Harris, and the campaign committee of the sitting Bladen sheriff. But investigators are probing whether some absentee ballots were altered by Dowless and a loosely connected group working with him or collected from voters but never turned in.

The state elections board plans to hold a hearing later this month and could order a new election.

"All Republicans across the state are horrified by this. But there's no way Mr. Harris knew", said Woodhouse.

"This has shaken us to the core", he said. That's one reason the GOP would be better off if the state held a new election for NC-09 and resolved the defects on their own. "This is against everything that we actively stand for", he said. "Dan Bishop (R-Mecklenburg), Tommy Tucker (R-Union), and Paul Newton (R-Cabarrus) today called on Governor Roy Cooper to establish an independent, bipartisan task force to investigate absentee ballot irregularities spanning multiple election cycles, including the 2016 gubernatorial election".