Matt Cox, a native of Swanton, Ohio, is dividing opinions across the country after he made a decision to punish his 10-year-old daughter for bullying by making her walk the 5 miles to school in near-freezing temperatures.
Matt Cox wanted to teach his daughter a lesson after she had been kicked off the school bus for three days for bullying another student.
Cox's video has been shared over 350,000 times and viewed over 16 million since Monday morning.
Matt Cox of Swanton said that his 10-year-old daughter was suspended from the bus last Friday.
The five-mile walk to school was broken up over Kirsten's three-day suspension.
"I love how you followed her to make sure she was safe while still teaching a lesson".
The next morning Cox made her walk 8km to school in temperatures of 2C while he drove in the vehicle behind her.
When a 10-year-old OH girl got in trouble for bullying, her father used a unique method to teach her a lesson.
Dad Makes 10-Year-Old Daughter Walk Five Miles To School As Punishment For Bullying. Credit Matt Cox Facebook
In the video, Cox explains he is "doing what he feels is right" to teach his daughter a lesson about bullying.
Mr Cox added that many children feel entitled to privileges like being taken to school in the morning by vehicle or bus.
"Bullying is unacceptable", Cox said in the video.
"That was me showing how I hold my kid accountable", he said.
He says he hopes that other kids will see this and make the choice to be kind instead.
The video shows the student walking along a road with her backpack on and another tote in her hand.
The father later told WTVG that more parents need to hold their kids accountable.
Cox posted video of the punishment - and was swiftly met with the typical online cacophony of applause and boos.
Commenter Peggy Smeltzer was among the few that expressed concern: "5 miles is a lot for a 10 year old let alone someone older in 36 degree [fahrenheit] weather I agree with you on not tolerating bullying but I think that's too much".
- President George H.W. Bush’s Service Dog ‘Sully’ Salutes Companion At Capitol
- Emery proud of Arsenal after Holding, Ramsey injuries mar Old Trafford draw
- Cardi and Offset's Baby Girl Kulture Just Made Her Instagram Debut
- Huawei’s CFO Meng Wanzhou Arrested and Now Everyone Is Very Nervous
- Corker calls Trump's loyalty to Saudi Arabia 'un-American'
- Greenhouse Gas Emissions to Set Record
- World in 'deep trouble' over climate change, United Nations warns
- Patriots QB Brady finally joins 1000-yard rushing club
- Can Manchester United win the Premier League this season?
- Junket tourism