According to Adam Schefter of ESPN, McCarthy was brought in to a meeting following a 20-17 home loss to the Cardinals and fired.
But the firing came on the heels of a 4-7-1 record and three consecutive losses while spoiling the talents of an elite quarterback. "As a result, I made the hard decision to relieve Mike McCarthy of his role as head coach, effective immediately", Murphy said.
Murphy said the process of hiring the next head coach would begin immediately.
Despite much success during the McCarthy era, Green Bay fans have grown increasingly frustrated with him over the last few seasons. He finishes with a 125-77-2 regular-season record while going 10-8 in the postseason, leading the team to a Super Bowl XLV win following the 2010 season. After Sunday, that won't be the case anymore.
McCarthy took over the reins in 2006 and went on to win six NFC North division titles during his tenure.
McCarthy's axing also comes amid reports of tension between the 55-year-old and quarterback Aaron Rodgers. "We haven't played very well", he said.
This year, Rodgers hurt his left knee in the season opener, though he is feeling better now. "We were a little above halfway at halftime, and then toward the end of the game, I wasn't coming out".
"I hate to repeat myself, but it's applicable".
The Browns sound like they are ready to be aggressive in going after him, and now it's up to McCarthy if he wants to come in right away or hang back and spend some time enjoying the roses after getting fired.
The opening play of the fourth quarter was a flawless example of Green Bay's offensive struggles. Is players' health not being vetted properly before they join the team?
As for McCarthy, we don't know what the immediate future will hold.
Should Patriots head coach Josh McDaniels decide to test the waters next season, he'd be an interesting hire in that he's run every kind of offense under Bill Belichick, and he's managed to stay on Tom Brady's good side.
- Manchester United Manager Jose Mourinho Admits Major January Signing Is Unlikely
- 2.0 box office collection Day 2: Rajinikanth, Akshay Kumar-starrer soars high!
- Trump says next meeting with North Korea's Kim likely in early 2019
- British MP reveals he is HIV positive
- Kawhi Leonard Set to Leave Jordan Brand for New Balance
- Jay-Z Trashes Kanye West's Trump Support - 'Enjoy Your Chains'
- Quentin, Daniella wed in private ceremony
- Nissan Maxima: Refreshed for More V-Motion
- CNN fires analyst Marc Lamont Hill after United Nations speech on Israel
- Bethesda’s $200 ‘Fallout 76’ collector’s edition isn’t what fans were promised