As reports broke Thursday night that former Fox News personality Heather Nauert could be in line to assume the role of United Nations ambassador and be named by Trump as early as Friday, not everyone was pleased.
Nauert's nomination had been rumoured for weeks, and she had started handing over some of her responsibilities as spokeswoman to her deputy, Robert Palladino.
Nauert joined the administration in 2017 after several years as an anchor on Fox News, and has quickly moved up the ranks, joining Secretary of State Mike Pompeo's inner circle, according to Bloomberg.
However Ms Haley has made no secret of the fact that she has had policy disagreements with Mr Trump.
A Republican congressional aide said the president was expected to announce his decision to tap Heather Nauert for the U.N. Ambassador position by tweet on Friday morning.
In addition to that role, Ms Nauert was appointed acting undersecretary for public diplomacy and public affairs in March this year.
It was reported in November that Nauert had been offered the job, but it was not clear at the time whether she had accepted.
One of the reports came from Fox News, where Ms Nauert has previously worked as a presenter.
That role gave her responsibilities far beyond the news conferences she held in the State Department briefing room. She does not have prior political or policy-making experience.
Chris Murphy (D-CT) bashed Nauert as lacking in expertise, believing her to be the wrong choice for President Donald Trump's administration.
Shut out from the top by Tillerson and his inner circle, Nauert developed relationships with career diplomats.
- Lady Gaga, Kendrick Lamar, Donald Glover, And More Receive Golden Globe Nominations
- Kate Middleton on Prince William's Worst Eating Habit | The Feast
- OPEC agrees to deal to cut oil output, despite Trump pressure
- World in 'deep trouble' over climate change, United Nations warns
- Cardi and Offset's Baby Girl Kulture Just Made Her Instagram Debut
- Emery proud of Arsenal after Holding, Ramsey injuries mar Old Trafford draw
- Recalled infants' Ibuprofen sold at Walmart, CVS, Family Dollar
- Junket tourism
- Arrest of Huawei 'heiress' throws rare spotlight on family
- 'Extremely rare blood' donations needed to save 2-year-old Florida girl