They included a woman and her 14-year-old stepdaughter whose auto slid into the path of a semi trailer in Clinton, about 80 miles (130 kilometers) southeast of Kansas City, on Friday, the Missouri State Highway Patrol said.
They also said almost 300 vehicles had slid off roads across the state and more than 175 crashes had been reported by late Saturday morning.
A few major East Coast cities are likely to see some impact, including Washington, Baltimore and Philadelphia, and there is a possibility for light accumulation in NY along the northern edge of the storm. By Jan. 12, at least 11 inches had accumilated in the region, and it was still coming down. "St. Louis is seeing its worst snowstorm in five years".
In Kansas City, where the Chiefs were hosting the Indianapolis Colts on Saturday, about 8 inches of snow had fallen by early afternoon. Gia has most of the midwest in a winter storm warning, with anticipated snowfall ranging from 3 inches to more than a foot.
On the storm's southside, more heavy rain will fall on the already saturated South.
Michael Fuehne, left, and David Fellner Jr., both of Belleville, strain as they push the vehicle of Billy Brownlee out of a pile of snow after Brownlee went sideways while making a turn in Belleville, Ill., on Saturday, Jan. 12, 2019.
The storm eased up Saturday afternoon in St. Louis after dropping more than 10 inches of snow there.
The National Weather Service issued a winter storm warning effective through 6 p.m. ET Sunday for Washington, parts of central Maryland and northern and northwest Virginia.
The Missouri Department of Transportation warned residents not to travel in the storm if it wasn't necessary. "The models this morning are 2 degrees colder than (Thursday), which will lead to higher amounts of snow and ice than were forecast (then)", CNN meteorologist Chad Myers says. Philadelphia is expected to receive a few inches of snow, but areas north of there are expected to be spared, Orrison said. Lower accumulations are expected in DE and Baltimore, as well as around Richmond, where precipitation Sunday should be freezing rain.
Some 250 flights were canceled in the U.S.as of Saturday morning. The Southeast has seen abundant precipitation in December and January, and the additional rain could put a strain on already-high rivers.
At Lambert International Airport in St. Louis, most flights were canceled or delayed.
- Can Manchester United win the Premier League this season?
- Rumor: Nokia 6.2 with a punch-hole display & Snapdragon 632 coming soon
- Shareholders Sue Google's Parent Company for Alleged Sexual Misconduct Cover-Up
- Scott Israel, ousted by governor, will fight to regain his job
- While You Were in Shul: Israel Attacked Iranian Warehouse in Damascus
- Redmi Note 7 with 48MP camera launched at just Rs 10500
- Attorneys for suspect in Closs case 'relying on integrity of judicial system'
- Obama protege Julian Castro set to join 2020 race
- Hardik, Rahul suspended pending probe, to be sent home
- Samsung chronicles its mobile innovations ahead of Galaxy S10 launch