The six-times Australian Open champion Federer, who beat Marin Cilic in last year's final, could meet the Croat in the quarter-finals, should the Swiss come through a potentially tricky fourth round against Greek prospect Stefanos Tsitsipas.
Djokovic, who like Federer is bidding for a record seventh title in Melbourne, will play a qualifier in round one. I played him in his prime when he was virtually unbeatable. I can still play to a level.
Murray will go down as one of Britain's best ever sportsmen for his achievements in an era of tennis in which he has had to compete with icons such as Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic. He has the potential of a second-round meeting against wildcard Jo-Wilfried Tsonga with a potential quarter-final showdown against Kei Nishikori.
The Scot did enjoy a winning start to his season with a victory over local player James Duckworth at the Brisbane International on January 1 but was well beaten by Russian fourth seed Daniil Medvedev in the next round.
A highlight first-round clash will see Australia's unseeded Nick Kyrgios up against Canada's big-serving 16th seed Milos Raonic, with the victor facing either Stan Wawrinka or Ernests Gulbis.
The pair have met four times in Australian Open finals, with the Serb winning them all.
"The door is open, if you look at the rankings".
Romanian Halep was named the top seed in women's singles, followed by Angelique Kerber of Germany and Denmark's Caroline Wozniacki. If it would happen defending this title, I would gladly accept it.
He said: "Ninety-nine is already an incredible number".
"To finally get that (title) here was so special, it's the happy slam".
The three-time Grand Slam champion was driven to tears as he made the announcement to a room of journalists and revealed that the extent of his pain means he can not put socks on without struggling.
- US official says China trade talks ‘went just fine’
- Mike McCarthy to sit out 2019 season, hopes to coach in 2020
- Queen tweets heartwarming Golden Globes post with Rami Malek
- Pompeo Seeks to Soothe Strains With Surprise Visit to Iraq
- Cristiano Ronaldo Will Submit DNA to Police After Rape Allegation
- Karl-Anthony Towns Shocked By Tom Thibodeau Firing
- PM Imran congratulates India on historic Test series win in Australia
- LG Says Price Could Be a Hurdle for Its Rollable TV
- De Blasio announces health care coverage for all New Yorkers
- French official due to lead 'yellow vests' debate quits in pay furore