But I will say all other options are on the table.
Beyond that, Rooney said the team is leaving all of its options open regarding Brown, which would mean the team will likely have to attempt to trade him. Pittsburgh may ask for a first-round pick for the receiver.
In light of Brown's job status being called into question, oddsmakers have started taking bets on where he will be playing next season. Brown's $2.5 million roster bonus due March 17 would incentivize the Steelers to deal him.
The 30-year-old is signed through 2021 with an average salary of $17 million.
"There's not much we can do right now; we have time to make a decision", Rooney said Thursday.
The 49ers have been in the market for a true No. 1 wide receiver since John Lynch and Kyle Shanahan took over. The Pro Bowl receiver reportedly asked for but did not demand a trade after the incident, but he carries a $21.25 million cap hit for next season, so he likely would be hard to move despite his huge talent. You'd be hard-pressed to imagine the Steelers trading Brown inside the division, even if there will be discussions in a lot of front offices around the league about the pros and cons of making an offer.
Brown missed the team's 2018 finale against the Cincinnati Bengals.
Rooney says cap considerations will play a factor in how the Steelers move forward.
Adding numbers alone won't solve the problems the Steelers had past year, but the fact Tomlin's considering structural changes is a sign that he realizes he needs to adapt himself. He also indicated that the issues with Brown at the end of the season are likely part of a broader problem. "We have a way to go before we feel good about that".
"My belief is there's more to it than an incident one day at practice", the Steelers' president said.
- Samsung Galaxy S10 Battery Capacity Revealed
- Tim Tebow Is Engaged to Demi-Leigh Nel-Peters!
- Transfer: Arnautovic drops shocking West Ham transfer bombshell
- Samsung warns sales and profits are going down the toilet
- Apple’s Tim Cook Wants to Focus on ‘the Most Important Things’
- Oakland A's expect Kyler Murray to declare for National Football League draft
- Lampard urges Hudson-Odoi to snub Bayern Munich
- Donald Trump teases changes for H-1B visa holders
- Christina Aguilera Praises Lady Gaga for Speaking Out Against R. Kelly
- Bollywood stars call on Modi