At this point in the 2017-2018 flu season, 46 states were reporting widespread flu activity, there were 13.7 flu hospitalizations per 100,000 people and nearly 6% of doctor's visits were related to the flu.
"I am deeply saddened for the family of this young child, who experienced an unthinkable loss", Health Commissioner Shereef Elnahal said in a statement.
Since December 1 last, there have been 39 confirmed cases in the Mid-West, and 26 of these detections were resident in Limerick. The flu causes symptoms such as fever, cough, body aches and fatigue and in some cases can lead to serious complications and even death. "We are hoping for a milder season than we had previous year, which was a doozy", Dr. William Schaffner, an infectious disease expert at Vanderbilt University Medical Center in Tennessee, told Healthline.
It's not too late to get your yearly flu vaccine to possibly avoid getting sick.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says 80,000 people died nationally, including 180 children, during last year's flu season.
Flu seasons tend to vary from year to year. This was mostly among children ages 0-4 years old. Thirteen children have died from the flu so far this season.
Getting flu shots at U.S. Army Health Clinic-Schofield Barracks.
"It's not just flu, but also other respiratory viruses", tweeted hospital CEO Alex Munter, "busy viral season".
Data from the Public Health Agency of Canada, moreover, shows flu season has still yet to peak, meaning that Canadians young and old alike will still be at risk of contracting the infectious disease for weeks to come.
Although the season has already begun, there is still time to get the flu shot.
"This year in particular, we have expected that children under 19 years of age and non-elderly adults will be disproportionately affected. children because they are less likely to have protection (built-in immunity) from prior epidemics of H1N1". The shot is a vaccine that helps protect you against the seasonal flu virus.
Pregnant women or people with medical conditions related to their heart, lungs or immune system are encouraged to ask their primary care provider about antiviral medication as soon as they get symptoms.
- French official due to lead 'yellow vests' debate quits in pay furore
- Andy Murray to retire this year
- Meghan Markle Jokes About Woman Rejecting Her Handbag She Donated to Charity
- National Basketball Association reviewing McCaw's short stay with Cavs
- British parliament orders May government to come up with Brexit plan B
- Karl-Anthony Towns Shocked By Tom Thibodeau Firing
- Astronomers detect mysterious repeated radio signal from faraway galaxy for second time
- White Sox reportedly to sign D-backs free agent outfielder Jon Jay
- Cristiano Ronaldo Will Submit DNA to Police After Rape Allegation
- Pompeo Seeks to Soothe Strains With Surprise Visit to Iraq