In a sense, Kelly was caught in a no-woman's land: Some at NBC were suspicious of her because of the Fox News background, while her former audience at Fox resented her for tough questioning of Donald Trump on the presidential campaign trail.
It's not immediately clear what's next for Kelly. Kelly said it was OK when she was "a kid" (she was born in 1970) to don blackface - "so long as you were dressing up as a character". TMZ approached Kelly on the street while she was walking with her husband, Doug Brunt, and asked if she will be back on TV this year. " Kelly said on her show back on October 23".
Kelly's exit from NBC was greeted on social media with a mix of celebration and critical barbs directed at the network. But she didn't appear on the network again, and three days after her blackface remarks first aired, NBC announced that it had canceled the show.
Things didn't exactly improve once Kelly's hour of NBC's flagship "Today" show kicked off in the fall of 2017.
Kelly's first season averaged almost 2.4 million viewers, 375,000 fewer than the "Today" show 9 a.m. hour had drawn before she arrived.
Kelly's future with NBC was in doubt long before she suggested it was appropriate for white people to wear Halloween costumes with blackface during a segment of her 9 a.m. talk show.
Since her departure from the third hour of Today, her show has been replaced by rotating anchors Dylan Dreyer, Sheinelle Jones, Craig Melvin, Al Roker and others.
Kelly apologized for the comment in a letter to NBC staff, and later made an on-air apology.
The Daily Beast published a bombshell report in September that detailed NBC News Chairman Andy Lack's history of using nondisclosure and separation agreements to his advantage.
In addition to the Weinstein debacle, NBC declared that management was oblivious to Matt Lauer's widespread sexual misconduct - which was found via in-house investigators.
She's been off the air since October after her remarks on blackface, and exit negotiations had dragged for two months over the holidays.
This Fox News piece is used by permission.
- Elon Musk's SpaceX to cut 10% of staff amid 'difficult challenges'
- Hardik, Rahul suspended pending probe, to be sent home
- FBI Investigated Whether Trump Was Working For Russia
- Scott Israel, ousted by governor, will fight to regain his job
- Redmi Note 7 with 48MP camera launched at just Rs 10500
- New York mayor proposes requiring paid leave, a first for US
- Attorneys for suspect in Closs case 'relying on integrity of judicial system'
- Video shows bus driver rescuing baby wandering alone near road
- Rumor: Nokia 6.2 with a punch-hole display & Snapdragon 632 coming soon
- Shareholders Sue Google's Parent Company for Alleged Sexual Misconduct Cover-Up