She didn't see him and turned to walk away, so he puts an arm around her waist but seems to get no response - though she did later smile at him as the producers gave their speeches.
That same month, Singer's name fuelled more headlines when he was sued over a 2003 allegation that he raped a 17-year-old boy - a charge he has denied.
"I have a feeling this is haunting me on the Internet right now", he said.
"I'm beyond moved", Malek said.
As fans chimed in to "like" the photo and express their love of the movie as well, one cheeky woman wrote, "Sir Rod - when do we get a film about you?" Rami Malek, who portrayed Freddie Mercury, completed an unexpected double for the film as he took home the corresponding award for Best Actor in a Motion Picture.
Quinn said the gong probably highlights the industry's renewed push to "recognise what people are liking".
The awkward moment first went viral when a Twitter user posted the video online alongside the caption: "Rami Malek trying to talk to Nicole Kidman is like me trying to talk to my crush". The tracks include Queen's "We Will Rock You", "We Are the Champions", "Crazy Little Thing Called Love", "Another One Bites the Dust", and the title song.
Despite being completely left out of the celebrations at the Hollywood awards night, Singer, 53, still went out of his way to thank the Hollywood Foreign Press Association for delivering the movie two coveted statues.
Malek spoke to Ryan Seacrest on the red carpet before the show and told him that he believes he was cast because of the "mischief I have going on in my eyes". "This is for and because of you gorgeous", Malek concluded.
On the television side of the night, Netflix and FX tied for most awards won, with FX's The Americans winning for best drama series and the Assassination of Gianni Versace winning best limited series.
- British parliament orders May government to come up with Brexit plan B
- AMD announces Radeon VII graphics: Zen 2 on track
- Kim, Trump to meet again
- Season Wild Card Schedule
- The Duchess of Cambridge turns 37
- PM Imran congratulates India on historic Test series win in Australia
- Jurgen Klopp defends changes as Wolves knock Liverpool out of FA Cup
- Brendan Rodgers: Celtic boss looks for more signings for 'tight' title race
- Salah named 2018 CAF African Footballer of the Year
- Chelsea make a move for Juventus striker Gonzalo Higuain