Rooney was forced to pay a $25 fine for the incident in January, which probably won't be too noticeable for someone worth an estimated $120 million.
Rooney was seen in the UK on December 22, where he attended Ole Gunnar Solksjaer's first home game in charge of Manchester United at Old Trafford.
Rooney was arrested by the Metropolitan Washington Airport Authority.
In a statement, his spokesman said: "During the flight Wayne took a prescribed amount of sleeping tablets mixed with some alcohol consumption and consequently was disorientated on arrival".
"He received a statutory automatic fine and was released shortly afterwards at the airport".
DC United said they were aware of the reports of Rooney's arrest in a statement issued to USA media.
Rooney was banned from driving for two years in September 2017 after he was found to be nearly three times over the legal limit when he was stopped by British police. "We have no further comment at this time".
He was almost three times the legal limit, banned from driving for two years and ordered to carry out unpaid work in the community.
He joined Manchester United in 2004 and went on to score 253 goals to become the Red Devils' all-time top goalscorer.
After a return to Everton, Rooney made the switch to DC United - making his debut on July 14 previous year.
His current club, MLS side DC United, said they would deal with the matter internally, but it seems unlikely his position at the club is in jeopardy.
- 'May declare a national emergency' to build wall
- U.S. officials head to China for high-level trade talks next week - Beijing
- Markets Right Now: Stocks slide after Apple sees China slump
- Bromance Blooms Between Trump and Brazil’s New Populist President
- New Windows 10 build silences Cortana, brings passwordless accounts
- Tahith Chong proud to make Manchester United debut vs Reading
- Shutdown Continues as Democrats Take Back the House
- Protests erupt after two women make landmark step in Indian temple
- Tax refunds could be delayed due to government shutdown
- McDonald’s employee attacked over a straw