Anything can happen, of course, but things suddenly are looking up for the rebuilding team coming off a 100-loss season.
The self-described free-spending Phillies shot to the leaderboard as favorites to land Machado as the Yankees interest waned, but if they invest in Harper, how much cash will they have left for Machado? Earlier this month, the Yankees signed five-time All-Star shortstop Troy Tulowitzki, who is expected to start until Didi Gregorius returns from Tommy John surgery this summer. That lack of desperation on the Yankees' part means they can set a price for Machado and, as Olney reports, engage him only if the market falls to that level. "We got to understand the man".
"Everything is still on the table", one industry source said, "especially in this new age of free agency where not everything makes sense". So you just got to let those play out. "We watched the player play for years, but we got to understand the man, we got to understand what he'd be like in the dugout, the clubhouse and the community". White Sox Chairman Jerry Reinsdorf is an owner of Stadium. Chicago also traded for his brother-in-law Yonder Alonso and signed close friend Jon Jay to a one-year deal this week.
Machado may be the answer to their attendance woes, though Sox fans historically only support teams that are winning and have little patience for the alternative. Friday's move now raises even more confusion over Miguel Andujar's status on the Yankees' roster.
Machado is said to be seeking somewhere in the neighborhood of $300 million, and there has been no indication that the Yankees are willing to go that high.
Is that enough to bring him to the South Side?
But as the horse race enters the homestretch, it looks like Hahn might have a winning ticket.
- Bayern disrespecting Chelsea over Hudson-Odoi pursuit - Sarri
- Billions of white dwarf stars are crystallising, say astronomers
- Trump under fresh scrutiny over relationship with Putin
- A Massive Winter Storm Blankets Parts Of The US, Kills Five
- Stay strong! - Djokovic hails 'brave' Murray as retirement looms
- Meghan Markle’s Half Brother Arrested
- Huawei: Searches and arrests of counterintelligence in Poland
- Obama protege Julian Castro set to join 2020 race
- R Kelly denies all allegations of sexual misconduct and abusive treatment
- U.K. Labour leader agrees no deal Brexit would be 'catastrophic'