Newsom will allow roughly 100 troops to continue working with the federal government specifically focused on combating transnational drug and gun smuggling. Jerry Brown- deployed the California National Guard past year, but placed severe restrictions on how and where the troops could be used by the Trump administration.
"California's National Guard troops are needed elsewhere in the state, and I stand by Gov. Newsom's decision to redeploy them from the border to places where they will be of far more value to our residents".
Prior to Newsom's inauguration as governor, former Gov.
Although Trump has ordered thousands of military personnel to be deployed on the southern border, the National Guard remain under the command of authorities in each state. He made clear his intention to challenge Trump on border and immigration policy, and there is no indication that this will be anything but wildly popular in California. More than 5,000 US military troops are also stationed at the border across the four states.
At least 150 troops to expand the California National Guard's statewide Counterdrug Task Force - if the Trump administration's Department of Defense agrees to fund the expansion.
Brown said he agreed to the mission after persuading the federal government to commit to paying for it and kept the guard members under the direction of the state. They can not act as a police force or make arrests.
Trump's demand for $5.7 billion United States to help build a wall led to a 35-day partial USA government shutdown that ended last month without the president getting wall funding.
Brown also ordered that the guard members not enforce immigration laws or participate in the building of a border barrier.
US President Donald Trump (C) looks on with Governor of California Jerry Brown (R) and Lieutenant Governor of California, Gavin Newsom, as they view damage from wildfires in Paradise, California on November 17, 2018.
"We have not been involved in the detention of immigrants". "It will not be a mission to round up women and children or detain people escaping violence and seeking a better life". Under Newsom's directive, he said, Guard members would stay away from those areas and not participate in border surveillance.
- Embattled Virginia Governor Calls Slaves Indentured Servants
- Sprint Sues AT&T For Branding LTE Network as 5G
- Can Manchester United win the Premier League this season?
- Mickelson finishes off fifth win at Pebble Beach
- Thai King Dashes Sister's Political Dreams
- Aaron Ramsey to become highest paid British player of all time
- Katy Perry’s shoe line pulls two pairs over blackface controversy
- Azpilicueta cant find words to describe Chelsea's embarrassment at Man City
- New Horizons beams again a brand new revelation about Ultima Thule
- Ceramic Galaxy S10 listed by Vietnamese retailer for $1,333 (VND 30,990,000)