"I can't see them, therefore they're not real".
One BBC reader, Steve M, said: "I didn't think I would ever say this - I agree with Donald Trump on this!" "Therefore the're not real", Hegseth said. "I feel much better after I thoroughly wash my hands, which I do as much as possible".
Hegseth, who served with the national guard in Iraq during his 11-year military career, said he didn't see any issue with eating the pizza before backing up his statement with his personal stance.
Bila added that Hegseth was developing an immunity to bacteria, rolling her eyes as he remarked, "Exactly!"
"We're on a show, and we have fun, and we banter, and I'm like, eh, you know, maybe I haven't washed my hands for 10 years", he told USA Today.
Newsweek reports that Hegseth's comments were sparked by a conversation over day-old pizza - the co-host had apparently eaten some slices that were left out from the day before. "My dad has that theory too". "Twitter really has come full circle".
As he made the freaky confession laughs and gasps can be heard off camera - pretty understandably, really.
Hegseth then took his rant even further arguing his unsanitary habits gave him an immunity against sickness.
Hegseth doubled down on his unusual concept of health and hygiene with a tweet ending in the hashtag "DontWash", sparking a fiery debate on social media.
"P.S. I also support drinking from garden hoses & riding bikes w/o a helmet".
Well, whatever works for you, man.
While Hegseth may believe he's discovered the key to a strong immune system, the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) still recommends frequent hand-washing with soap and running water.
For what it's worth, old mate nearly immediately doubled down on his claims on Twitter, claiming it was actually a joke you morons, you fucking idiots.
- Apex Legends hits 25 million players in a week - smashing Fortnite's record
- Mexico's 'El Chapo,' notorious cartel boss, convicted in United States trial
- Newborn baby rescued after passerby hears her crying in a storm drain
- Newborn baby discovered lying on road in near-freezing temperatures
- Andy Robertson praises 'calm' Jurgen Klopp as Liverpool recapture type
- Katy Perry’s shoe line pulls two pairs over blackface controversy
- Prime Minister calls on MPs to ‘hold their nerve’ on Brexit
- Who owns that 'delightful' tiger, Houston officials ask
- Trump Signs Order Prioritizing Artificial Intelligence Research
- Trump 'May Not Be a Free Person' in 2020 — POCAHONTAS