At least seventeen people were killed in a fire that broke out at Hotel Arpit Palace in Delhi's Karol Bagh area early Tuesday morning.
At least 17 people died on Tuesday as a fire tore through a budget hotel in Delhi before dawn, in the latest disaster to raise concerns over fire safety in India. Fire officials said a call about the fire was received at 4.35 am and 24 fire tenders were rushed to the spot. TV reports say that several people tried to save their lives by jumping off from the fourth floor.
As many as 30 fire tenders were pressed to carry out the rescue operation. Many were severely injured and have been rushed to Dr. Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital.
Dramatic footage from the scene shared on social media showed thick smoke and huge flames pouring out of the 35-room hotel. Those staying in the hotel included a group of tourists from Myanmar, broadcaster NDTV said, adding that authorities were trying to ascertain their whereabouts. The fire has already been controlled and the cooling process was underway.
"We have to check the stability of the structure, check every room", Deputy Police Commissioner Mandeep Singh Randhawa said. The fire department will conduct an inquiry into the incident and the Delhi Police has also lodged an FIR against the hotel administration and will further investigate the negligence caused on their part. Most of the victims were sleeping when the fire broke out, believed to have been caused by a short circuit. It is estimated some 120 people were inside the building, built around 25 years ago, according to the hotel's website.
Generally, four floors are allowed for such establishments, the minister said.
- UK To Send F-35s, Aircraft Carrier to South China Sea
- Aaron Ramsey to become highest paid British player of all time
- Sprint Sues AT&T For Branding LTE Network as 5G
- Junket tourism
- Mickelson finishes off fifth win at Pebble Beach
- Rajinikanth Can't Stop Dancing As Daughter Soundarya Weds Actor Vishagan Vanangamudi
- Thomas Markle Shares Private Letter Allegedly Written By Meghan Markle
- Thai King Dashes Sister's Political Dreams
- New Horizons beams again a brand new revelation about Ultima Thule
- Justin Theroux Wishes Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston a Happy Birthday