Realmuto seems more likely to target an average annual salary in the range of Posey's $19.875 million per season, though Martin's five-year contract length is more realistic than the eight years that Posey signed for after winning the National League MVP in his age-26 season.
The reason for that is that the Marlins asking price has been extremely high, mainly because they are unhappy with the returns they got for the other stars they traded a year ago like Giancarlo Stanton, Christian Yelich and Marcell Ozuna.
Marlins send Realumuto for Sixto Sanchez, Jorge Alfaro, Will Stewart and $250k worldwide bonus money! Alfaro struck out in 40 percent of his at bats last season while walking just 18 times in 377 plate appearances. Cincinnati's Hunter Greene or San Diego's Chris Paddack would have been nice to have if a different deal had been worked out (I was hoping for a package of Francisco Mejia and Adrian Morejon or Paddack from the Padres personally) but Sanchez ranks right up there talent-wise. He has been on the radar as one of the top catching prospects in the game for several years.
"Bryce Harper loves J.T. Realmuto", Frisaro said on Wednesday evening.
Given the nature of Derek Jeter's "plan" to build from the ground up, this could be considered a long-term success for the Marlins. Bronx Bombers' third baseman Miguel Andujar and catcher Gary Sanchez would have gone to Miami to round out the deal, reports Martino. He becomes the Marlins' top prospect.
He was by far the team's most valuable asset and the most marketable face.
What happens now is the Marlins head to Spring Training in Jupiter, Florida minus one of their leaders and the need for someone else to assume the role of power hitter/clutch performer.
The Marlins finished last in the NL East previous year with a 63-98 record.
The Phillies have been busy this offseason, adding Andrew McCutchen, David Robertson and Jean Segura in addition to Realmuto. The Dodgers balked at a deal involving Cody Bellinger.
The Reds offered high-profile minor leaguers. None were as appealing as Sanchez, as Jeff Passan of ESPN.com wrote.
Jorge Alfaro-25 years old, not arbitration eligible until 2021, and not projected to hit free agency until 2024-had a successful season last year for the Phillies. One of the prospects, 20-year-old RHP Sixto Sanchez, was Philadelphia's top-rated farmhand. Isan Diaz figures to be a utility infielder while Jordan Yamamoto looks more promising after a strong showing in the Arizona Fall League (3-0, 2.08 ERA, 1.07 WHIP in six starts).
- Epic Games utilizes Fortnite advertisements to thwart Apex Legends
- 'Anthem' Launch Trailer Shows Off All Four Javelins
- Sarri discusses Hazard and Higuain strike partnership
- Winter Snow Storm Wallops Pacific Northwest; Washington Declares State of Emergency
- Marc Gasol thanks Grizzlies after trade to Raptors
- Chiron Sport '110 ans Bugatti' special edition celebrates Bugatti's French roots
- Lessons Enterprises Can Learn from Amazon About Locating HQs
- Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys
- Hockey fans everywhere are making fun of Edmonton Oilers after GM firing
- Virginia lieutenant governor denies new sexual assault allegation