An investigation has been launched to find out who abandoned the newborn baby. An ambulance was called and took the baby to Valley Children's Hospital.
Fuentes described the "awful, chilling, moment" he was approaching a customer's house in his vehicle and saw something white moving in the road, which he initially thought was an animal.
Police are searching for the mother of a newborn girl who was found in the middle of a rural California road, with her umbilical cord still attached, in near freezing temperatures. Fuentes reportedly brought the baby inside and unzipped the onesie to warm her, and noticed the umbilical cord.
"I approached slowly. Next thing you know I see it's red, you can see the face".
KFSN-TV reports the hours-old baby was wearing only a onesie when the newspaper carrier, Aurelio Fuentes, found her a short time later on the center line of the road in Madera County in Central California.
The baby was taken to the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit at Valley Children's Hospital for treatment and is doing well, according to a statement by Madera County Sheriff's Office.
Now authorities are on the hunt for the baby's mother.
Fuentes brought the girl into his auto, where he called 911.
The witness told her to take the newborn to a nearby fire station or hospital and left the area a few moments before the newspaper carrier arrived.
Investigators are looking for a Hispanic female, likely in her early 20s, who left the scene in a small white SUV. She is said to be in good condition.
California has a Safely Surrendered Baby Law allowing parents to safely surrender an infant within 72 hours of birth at designated safe drop-off sites.
"The baby was cold, but luckily she was discovered early enough that she'll make a full recovery", Madera County Sheriff Office undersheriff Tyson Pogue said.
- Sprint Sues AT&T For Branding LTE Network as 5G
- New Horizons beams again a brand new revelation about Ultima Thule
- Can Manchester United win the Premier League this season?
- Andy Robertson praises 'calm' Jurgen Klopp as Liverpool recapture type
- Alliance of American Football Debuts with Strong Ratings
- California to Withdraw National Guard Troops from Border
- Thomas Markle Shares Private Letter Allegedly Written By Meghan Markle
- Thai King Dashes Sister's Political Dreams
- Aaron Ramsey to become highest paid British player of all time
- UK To Send F-35s, Aircraft Carrier to South China Sea