The pop star sang a string of tunes February 10 in celebration of the iconic Detroit-based label's songs, including "Please Mr. Postman", "My Girl", "Papa Was a Rollin' Stone", and "Money (That's What I Want)".
Lopez's addition to the Motown tribute triggered some people on social media, who condemned the Grammys for choosing her to perform songs composed and recorded by legendary African American musicians like Berry Gordy, The Temptations and Diana Ross and The Supremes.
Lopez said the surprise "really blew (her) away", and that while Gaines admitted she didn't typically offer this kind of help, she'd weigh in the couple's design decisions.
Speaking to the confusion behind her involvement in the tribute, Lopez said, "The thing about music is that it inspires all. @RecordingAcad y'all couldn't find BLACK women to do this MOTOWN tribute?!" "It's such a good moment". Though she has been performing regularly in Las Vegas with her "All I Have" residency at the Planet Hollywood Resort & Casino, this will be her first tour since 2012.
Lopez, who had drawn criticism even before the awards show for being tabbed to celebrate a black record label during Black History Month, received additional online disapproval for her medley performance.
'Any type of music can inspire any type of artist. So needless to say, J Lo's performance didn't sit well with many who questioned why a Black woman wasn't chosen to perform the tribute. "You gotta do what's in your heart". "I grew up on all those songs and because my mom loved him so much she passed him on to us". "Everybody... Who's stupid enough to protest Jennifer Lopez doing anything for Motown?".
- Kyrie Irving day-to-day with strained right knee
- Grammys 2019: Cardi B Performs At The 2019 Grammys
- Mom urges parents to vaccinate kids after measles outbreak
- Mickelson leads by three
- Lottery victor wears 'Scream' mask to hide identity
- Unidentified Man Claims Jussie Smollett is Lying About Attack
- Russell Westbrook ties Wilt Chamberlain's triple-double record
- Jody Wilson-Raybould resigns from federal cabinet
- South Koreans largely optimistic about Trump-Kim summit
- Minnesota Senator Amy Klobuchar Throws Her Hat Into The Ring For 2020!