Murray, who attends the University of Oklahoma, announced his decision in a Twitter post just four days before he was scheduled to report to the A's spring training program.
"Football has been my love and passion my entire life", Murray wrote.
9 pick by the Athletics in the 2018 Major League Baseball draft and was scheduled to report to spring training this week, but now he's turned his sole attention to football and getting ready for the combine later this month.
But Murray was as good as any player in college football last season, throwing for 4,631 yards, rushing for 1,001 yards and amassing 54 total touchdowns. But that narrative has changed (albeit pre-Scouting combine) and most think Murray will indeed be a first-round pick.
On Monday, Murray tweeted that he is "committing to football".
Murray is not a carbon copy of Mayfield by any means, but like Mayfield, Murray has the "it" factor and understands how to operate an offense efficiently and has the wherewithal to go off-script when necessary and make big plays. The dearth of high-level quarterback candidates in this draft doesn't hurt Murray for sure, and now, we'll have to see how this could impact the Cardinals - picking no. 1 overall - if at all.
Kyler Murray on September 8, 2018 in Norman, Oklahoma.
Murray reportedly will return most of the signing bonus he received from the A's previous year, according to ESPN's Jeff Passan.
And as The Athletic's Dane Brugler pointed out recently, "Over the last three years, 10 of the 11 quarterbacks drafted in the first round were selected by a team who traded up to secure the pick". One can imagine that all of those factors were weighed heavily by Murray when making the decision to ultimately spurn the A's in pursuit of football. "Kyler Murray would make a lot of sense in that situation given that Miami loved Baker Mayfield a year ago".
Murray, after a record-setting season as the quarterback at Oklahoma, was listed among National Football League combine participants last week, but it wasn't immediately clear which sport he was going to pursue. Although the A's were hoping he'd choose baseball, they were increasingly pessimistic the longer his locker in their spring-training clubhouse sat empty.
- Kylie Jenner and Travis Scott wrapped in love at the Grammys 2019
- Meet the Rich Energy Haas F1 auto
- Man-Utd-PSG: Neymar and Cavani give Tuchel tactical headache
- US Afghan envoy Zalmay Khalilzad wants peace deal before July vote
- Trump Says No Meeting With China's Xi Scheduled 'Yet'
- Adesanya earns hard-fought UD win over hero Silva at UFC 234
- Timeline: Convictions that have led to consecutive murder sentences in Canada
- Ariana Grande Reacts to First Grammy Win After Snubbing the Show
- Trump speaking at National Prayer Breakfast
- Blast of ice and snow in forecast for Mississauga, Brampton Tuesday