Renault set themselves the target of closing the gap with the top three teams as they unveiled their 2019 vehicle at their Oxfordshire factory.
Retired four times world champion and team special advisor Alain Prost, addressing staff before the launch, said he was impressed by the changes and hoped to see Ricciardo or German team mate Nico Hulkenberg on the podium this year.
Renault has taken the covers off the auto it will contend the 2019 season with.
Recent signing Ricciardo, a seven-time Grand Prix victor, joins Renault F1 Team for his first season in yellow.
"Since 2016 it is pretty awesome what they have done, so to keep going in that trajectory, saying okay you got fourth last year you need to get third this year, it is not as simple because the gap to the top three is pretty big".
Abiteboul said that Renault engineers had built on the lessons of the C-spec that was raced by Red Bull a year ago, but the 2019 version was a new design.
Ricciardo announced his shock decision to quit Red Bull for their pitlane rivals way back in August past year.
"We are now becoming a big team", the Frenchman said.
And with Daniel Ricciardo now in the cockpit, Abiteboul says Renault has "perhaps the strongest" driver lineup of any team. "When I arrived, the infrastructure was still young, we've come a long way since then with a lot of progress". "I have more clarity of where I'm going and I aim for that to be shown with good results on track".
"Anyone can think what they want about the road map that we have defined, but I think it is already quite aggressive as a road map". They've worked hard over the winter and that is one positive that I've seen initially, the work ethic.
"F1 can bring you down, but that is also a sign for me that I f****** care, and I want to be successful", he added.
- Tesla's New Vehicle Modes Protect Pets, Cars
- Many killed in stampede at APC rally in Port-Harcourt
- Attack kills scores of Indian soldiers in Kashmir
- CNN Claims To Have Seen Latest R. Kelly Tape
- Tottenham mean business in Champions League after win over Borussia Dortmund Winks
- Woman wanted in chair tossing off balcony surrenders to police
- Shamima Begum: The Times Investigating Possible Website Hack After Isis Exclusive
- Saudi Crown Prince to Announce $20B Investment Projects
- Tiger Woods says Phil Mickelson has ‘always pushed’ him to play better
- McConnell: Trump to sign funding bill and declare border emergency