Police in Chicago say the actor who claimed he was the victim of a racist and homophobic attack near his home has not provided them with enough phone records to help their investigation.
On Monday night, Fox 32 Chicago anchor Rafer Weigel reported that police "received cell phone records today from Smollett's camp".
"Chicago police received limited and redacted phone records from the victim".
A threatening letter and drawing to Smollett was sent to the Fox television studio in Chicago on January 22, police told ABC News, and it contained a powdery substance that investigators believe was likely crushed-up Tylenol.
This totally contradicts the one neighbor who says that she saw a suspicious individual around the building where she and Smollett reside about 90 minutes before the alleged attack.
"It's unclear if that is related to the incident as it was not discovered during any of the earlier canvasses but we took it for analysis", Chicago Police Department (CPD) spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said.
Cops have said they found plenty of surveillance video, but none that captured the incident.
Investigators requested phone records from both men, but they were given a redacted document file and a cellphone screenshot of phone calls. He reportedly told police that the men used racial and homophobic slurs before beating him, pouring what may have been bleach onto him, and leaving a noose around his neck before proclaiming, "This is MAGA country", as they left.
"I am working with authorities and have been 100% factual and consistent on every level", Smollett said in a previously released statement.
"I've been in this neighborhood five years. Why can't they find the attack". "Despite my frustrations and deep concern with certain inaccuracies and misrepresentations that have been spread, I still believe that justice will be served".
"It's a lie, because Chicago is the most liberal city around", a customer from an Irish Pub near the scene of the crime said, adding it "doesn't really make sense".
Police Supt. Eddie Johnson said this evidence was insufficient, and they will need more information.
Muhammad reportedly lives in the same high-rise as Smollett.
- Lottery victor wears 'Scream' mask to hide identity
- Trump 'May Not Be a Free Person' in 2020 — POCAHONTAS
- Newborn baby rescued after passerby hears her crying in a storm drain
- Why Steelers wouldn't even consider trading Antonio Brown to Patriots
- Activision Blizzard Plans to Lay Off Hundreds of Employees
- Pele pays tribute to goalkeeping magic of Gordon Banks
- Leicester City look to end winless streak against Tottenham Hotspur
- Who owns that 'delightful' tiger, Houston officials ask
- In Revolution anniversary speech, Rouhani lays claim to Bahrain, other neighbors
- Andy Robertson praises 'calm' Jurgen Klopp as Liverpool recapture type