Gros-Islet - Mark Wood answered West Indian pace with fearsome heat of his own as the fast bowler claimed his first five-wicket innings haul in Tests and put England in control on the second day of the third and final Test in St Lucia on Sunday.
According to reports, Gabriel was spoken to by the on-field umpires, Rod Tucker and Kumar Dharmasena, and warned about his conduct.
The 27 year old can play in Northants' first two division two games and opening six one-day cup matches.
The incident took place in the 44th over when England were sailing smoothly at 138 for 2 with Root and Joe Deny at the crease when both players ran into some kind of "interaction".
Gabriel was given an on-field warning by the umpires about using abusive language.
After he left the field he was asked to explain the incident with Gabriel.
Foakes did not keep wicket in the second innings of the second Test in Antigua after he was hit on the hand by a Shannon Gabriel ball while batting but he was considered fit enough to play.
'It's Test cricket and he's an emotional guy trying to do everything he can to win a Test match. "I don't want anything said in the middle to ruin what's been a good Test series for him and his team".
"It was a good hard scrap for most of it which was really enjoyable because sometimes when things aren't quite happening for you you think you're battling a little bit".
Pundits and fans have taken to social media to praise his forward-thinking actions, with former England captain Nasser Hussain describing Root as a role model.
Roston Chase struck his fifth Test hundred but West Indies crashed to a heavy 232-run defeat to England, on the penultimate day of the third and final Test here Tuesday.
West Indies coach Richard Pybus played down the alleged abuse after the close of play, saying that it is commonplace in cricket for fast bowlers to attempt to rattle their opposition.
Last month, Pakistan's captain Sarfraz Ahmed landed in trouble after a seemingly racist comment he made to South Africa's Andile Phehlukwayo was caught on the broadcast stump mics and discussed by the commentators.
- Russell Westbrook ties Wilt Chamberlain's triple-double record
- Lottery victor wears 'Scream' mask to hide identity
- Grammys 2019: Cardi B Performs At The 2019 Grammys
- Minnesota Senator Amy Klobuchar Throws Her Hat Into The Ring For 2020!
- Trump Supporter Attacks BBC Journalist at El Paso Rally
- USA trade representative Lighthizer arrives in China ahead of high-level talks
- Kate Middleton Stuns In One-Shoulder White Gown At BAFTA Awards
- Why Steelers wouldn't even consider trading Antonio Brown to Patriots
- Apex Legends hits 25 million players in a week - smashing Fortnite's record
- Julian Edelman Speaks Out About PED Suspension