Arsenal needed a fast start and they got one, opening the scoring in the fifth minute when Maitland-Niles and Aaron Ramsey combined down the right channel to tee up Aubameyang for a simple close-range finish.
The club celebrated qualification to the quarter final stage after overcoming RB Salzburg 4-3 on aggregate despite losing 3-1 on Thursday, however, this injury news will surely put a dampener on what has otherwise been a great week for the club. "The next match is the most important for us", Emery said.
"For us, today and Sunday, we are aware of playing competitively and I think it is good confidence for us to feel that".
The Rennes boss Julien Stephan told this correspondent last week after the match at Roazhon Park in deepest Brittany that his team were facing a hard evening at the Emirates in the second leg. We made it hard, but we knew how strong we are at home and we deservedly went through tonight'. The late goal was the forward's second of the night, and it all but sealed Arsenal's place in the Europa League quarterfinals.
Meanwhile, Manchester United, Liverpool, Manchester City and Tottenham Hotspur have made it to the quarter-finals of the Champions League. I think it makes the Premier League very interesting and we're of course proud to have progressed in the Europa League'.
Keown said: "There's an bad lot more possibilities when you've got two strikers".
However, Rennes will consider themselves hard done by in defeat.
Ismaila Sarr's third goal for the hosts in the dying embers of the first leg looked to have swung the tie Rennes' way and the Senegalese had the chance for a vital away goal, only for Sead Kolasinac to produce a saving last-ditch tackle.
'I was in the club and a guy from the club came to tell me I could play, so I was really happy to play and help my team. But we know for the next game we have to be better in both games.
- J&J found liable for California woman's talc-linked cancer
- How to get Android 10 Q beta on your phone right now
- NZ mosque gunman was Australian rightwing 'terrorist' : Australia PM
- School Officials Looking To Ban Cellphones In Class
- Disney Rehires James Gunn For Guardians Of The Galaxy 3
- Pompeo 'hopeful' North Korea talks can continue
- Manchester United boss Solskjaer rejects Neville's remarks on priorities
- Tyreek Hill Being Investigated for Alleged Battery
- 3rd test canceled: Bangladesh team flees mosque shooting
- Chiefs release erstwhile star Berry as free agency begins | AP sports