O'Rourke vowed in an announcement video released Thursday morning to run a "positive campaign that seeks to bring out the very best from every single one of us, that seeks to unite a very divided country". The former USA representative, who lost to Republican incumbent Ted Cruz in Texas' 2018 Senate race, released a video announcing his candidacy hours before starting a three-day tour across Iowa.
Beto O'Rourke officially launched his 2020 presidential campaign Thursday following months of speculation. According to the latest edition of Vanity Fair, Mr O'Rourke said: "You can probably tell that I want to run. I do".
"This moment of peril produces, perhaps, the greatest moment of promise for this country", he said in the video which was posted on the El Paso Times website.
He took a well-publicized road trip across the American Southwest, stopping at colleges and diners.
Speaking in Iowa, O'Rourke gave little specifics on his policies, in one case choosing to address the "spirit of the question" when asked to give his thoughts on the Green New Deal, a progressive proposal to combat climate change pushed by freshman Democrat Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez.
O'Rourke refused donations from outside political groups and shunned pollsters during his Senate campaign though he's not completely sworn off polling for a presidential run.
In February, O'Rourke gained widespread attention after headlining a massive rally in his hometown, El Paso, where he provide a counter argument to President Donald Trump's call for a wall along the U.S. -Mexico border.
O'Rourke has three days of campaign events in Iowa planned and has promised to travel the country listening to would-be voters. "I do. I think I'd be good at it". Bernie Sanders' 2016 Democratic presidential campaign who worry O'Rourke is too moderate to excite Democrats' liberal base.
O'Rourke had been expected to jump in the ring for months, after gaining national prominence past year in his failed attempt to unseat Sen. O'Rourke accused Trump of stoking "false fear" about immigrants.
- Lori Loughlin released on $1 million bond in college admissions bribery scandal
- North Koreans Just Voted-but Not for Kim Jong Un
- Google Chrome 73 Brings Dark Mode on macOS Mojave
- Schalmont senior to lead climate school strike Friday
- Where to find Pi Day deals around San Diego
- Can Manchester United win the Premier League this season?
- New York Mafia chieftain gunned down in front of mansion
- Nick Jonas just bought Priyanka Chopra the most OUTRAGEOUS gift
- No military solution to Pak-India issues: Germany
- Southwest, American ground troublesome 737s. Here’s how it affects Sacramento fliers