Marvel is moving forward on "Shang-Chi", the comic book superhero studio's first movie featuring an Asian lead character, building on the success of "Captain Marvel" and "Black Panther" and the studio's efforts to feature more diverse superhero characters.
Evan Agostini/Invision/AP Director Destin Daniel Cretton will helm "Shang-Chi", Marvel's first movie centered on an Asian superhero.
Cretton, who is now directing the Brie Larson and Michael B. Jordan movie "Just Mercy", has been officially hired to direct "Shang-Chi".
The character of Shang-Chi first appeared in Marvel comics in 1973. Shang-Chi was trained as a martial artist assassin by his father, the infamous pulp villain Fu Manchu, but later became a hero after rebelling against his father's ways.
Introduced in Special Marvel Edition #15 in December 197, the script will reportedly modernize the source material in order to avoid the character stereotypes of the time.
In this latest episode, we talk about the new Aladdin trailer, how the new Joker looks in the Harley Quinn show, a HUGE Captain Marvel discussion & so much more! Larson later teamed up with Cretton on the film The Glass Castle, and will do so again alongside Michael B. Jordan and Jamie Foxx in the upcoming film Just Mercy.
What do you think about Destin Daniel Cretton as the director of the Shang-Chi film?
According to The Hollywood Reporter, Marvel also plans to feature a largely Asian and Asian-American cast in the movie.
Though it hasn't been officially announced (possibly because nearly nothing has been announced for Marvel's post-Phase Three universe), Marvel is reportedly developing a movie about Shang-Chi, the martial artist hero of its cult series Master of Kung Fu.
- Captain Marvel will not release in Pakistan
- Facebook reportedly under criminal investigation for secret data-sharing deals
- Dolphins wrap up free-agent visit with Teddy Bridgewater
- Lori Loughlin Dropped By Hallmark After Alleged Involvement in College Bribery Scam
- Google announces Android Q: New features revealed in beta version
- Real Madrid sign €50m Eder Militao from Porto on six-year contract
- Golden Tate Agrees To Four-Year, $37.5M Deal With Giants
- #BoycottChineseProducts trend on Twitter after China blocks Azhar's listing
- Rockets Fired from Gaza at Tel Aviv, Explosions Heard
- Facebook struggles into day two of global outage