In an horrifying incident, a part of foot overbridge near Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Terminus (CSMT) railway station in south Mumbai collapsed on Thursday evening. The stampede broke out after just a 20-minute rain, on the foot over-bridge linking two of the busiest stations in Mumbai - Elphinstone Road and Parel suburban stations. All the injured have been admitted to nearby hospitals, a disaster management cell official said.
Mumbai: Mumbai Municipal Commissioner Ajoy Mehta on day suspended two civic engineers in connection with Thursday's foot overbridge collapse which claimed six lives. Both GT and St George Hospital witnessed frantic scenes as injured and dead were brought after the mishap took place.
Traffic between CSMT and Crawford Market has been affected. Police along with fire brigade have reached the spot and rescue work has begun.
Five patients who were declared dead by hospitals were identified as - Apoorva Prabhu (35), Ranjana Tambe (40), Zahid Khan (32), Bhakti Shinde (40) and Tapendra Singh (35). Show cause notice has been issued to the auditor and one contractor, who repaired the bridge.
Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis, who visited the bridge site and met those injured in the incident this morning, had sought a preliminary report from the authorities asking them to "fix primary responsibility" for the mishap.
Lawmakers and local party leaders rushed to the spot as political blame-game ensued. And that "it required minor repairs for which work was underway". "He should be arrested right now". "They have been ignoring this for months".
The collapse will be jointly probed by BMC and Central Railways, said Vinod Tawde, District Guardian Minister of Mumbai. The removal of the collapsed bridge's steel frame began on Friday. He added that the state government would provide for their treatment.
"During that audit, 354 bridges were checked for their structural soundness".
Following the order, the railways, the BMC and the IIT-Bombay had conducted a safety audit.
- #BoycottChineseProducts trend on Twitter after China blocks Azhar's listing
- Eureka High Kids Will Be On Strike for the Climate Today, Too
- Jurgen Klopp: Liverpool are back where we belong
- Who Is Social Media Influencer Olivia Jade?
- Can Manchester United win the Premier League this season?
- Destin Daniel Cretton Eyed To Direct Marvel’s Shang-Chi Movie
- Zinedine Zidane: Returning Real Madrid manager 'counting' on Gareth Bale
- Saudis held 3 court sessions on ‘heinous’ Khashoggi killing
- ‘Empire’ actor Jussie Smollett pleads not guilty
- The End Of The MCU? The Final Avengers: Endgame Trailer Has Dropped!