Not to be outdone, Messi responded a day later by scoring twice and providing two assists to turn a balanced matchup against Lyon into a 5-1 blowout.
Either way, they are both exceptional talents and they've proved that once again this week.
Ronaldo has now scored an incredible 124 Champions League goals in total and that figure looks set to keep rising as Juve progress.
Messi, in contrast, followed up his outstanding performance by praising Ronaldo.
"I think he had a great game".
Coutinho's barren run saw him jeered by some supporters during Saturday's win against Rayo Vallecano but he was given a more positive reception when he was replaced by Dembele in the second half against Lyon. Messi has beaten them more than any other side: 28 times to be precise.
"We did everything we could to stop (Messi), but when he is playing like this he is one of the best players of all time", Lyon coach Bruno Genesio said. "He put the team on his shoulders".
"It was a Champions League match and in this type of game, it is normal that we have moments of tension and pressure because they tend to be very fair results".
It was Dembele's third goal in the competition after also netting against PSV Eindhoven and Tottenham in the group stages and taking his total for the season to 14 in all competitions. The quarterfinal draw is on Friday.
The 31-year-old put his side ahead with a flawless Panenka penalty within the first 20 minutes of the match.
"I faced Messi when he was 16 years old and I was amazed".
Messi counts Juventus as one of the top candidates standing in his way, but it is not alone. "[Manchester] City, Juventus, Ajax, who have a great team of kids and don't fear anything, Liverpool, who've shown they pack a punch". Liverpool eliminated Bundesliga power Bayern Munich 3-1 to make the final cut.
"Atletico were a hard team but we were strong too".
- Jose Canseco’s ex-wife: A-Rod cheating claims are false
- Motorola's 5G Moto Mod for Moto z3 Now Available on Verizon
- Where to find Pi Day deals around San Diego
- No military solution to Pak-India issues: Germany
- New Yakuza spin-off yanked from shelves over actor’s arrest
- QUIZ: Season-opening Formula 1 Grand Prix winners
- Nick Jonas just bought Priyanka Chopra the most OUTRAGEOUS gift
- Southwest, American ground troublesome 737s. Here’s how it affects Sacramento fliers
- Lori Loughlin released on $1 million bond in college admissions bribery scandal
- Schalmont senior to lead climate school strike Friday