The superstar said he had "activated play-off mode" in a bid to inspire his team to make it through to the knockout stages of the season.
It's not all over for the Los Angeles Lakers just yet.
James also committed eight of the Lakers' 16 turnovers.
But James - a three-time National Basketball Association champion and four-time league Most Valuable Player - insisted back in September after he opted to join the storied but struggling Lakers as a free agent that the task of rebuilding a team that had missed the playoffs for five straight seasons would be a long-term project.
In the offseason, James signed a four-year contract with the Lakers.
"Obviously, it's been a tough season for all of us", James said after posting 25 points on 8-for-25 shooting, 14 assists, 9 rebounds and 8 assists, which he described as a "s--ty" performance. "It is not what we signed up for". Throughout the year, things happened.
"One thing you can't control is injuries". You keep pushing, see how you can get better tonight, move on to tomorrow and go from there. "You have to come out and work". It's still about going out there and respecting the game and giving everything we have to try to win. In the end, however, they weren't able to overcome the Nets, led by former Laker D'Angelo Russell with 21 points and 13 assists, and Joe Harris, who put up 26 points on 6-of-8 three-pointers. "It is hard to get chemistry on the floor", he said. "Hopefully I can be in as many games as possible down the stretch". "It's definitely a place that gave me an opportunity".
JaVale McGee had a career night with 33 points to go with 20 rebounds and six blocks to lead the Lakers throughout the night.
After Dinwiddie split two free throws with 17.1 seconds left, James missed an off-balance 3-point try with 14.5 seconds remaining and Kyle Kuzma missed a 3-point attempt nine seconds later to essentially seal the win for Brooklyn.
Lakers: Tyson Chandler got his first game action since March 2.
Now the Lakers have officially been eliminated and they no longer have any logical reasons to play LeBron James for the rest of the season.
James added that he was going to talk to the coaching staff about potentially reducing his minutes even more as the season winds down.
- Modi biopic producer clears air on credit row involving Javed Akhtar
- Man who sent pipe bombs to CNN, prominent Democrats pleads guilty
- Muslims return to Christchurch mosque as New Zealand works to move on
- Guaido's aide arrested for plotting terrorist attacks on Venezuelan officials - interior minister
- ISIS territory almost eliminated, will be erased from Syria by today
- Ronaldo escapes UEFA ban for celebration in Juventus win over Atletico Madrid
- Amazon Killing Ads for Unprofitable Items Is Its Latest Ruthless Money-Grab
- Nirav Modi held in London, in police custody
- Microsoft's Defender Security Suite Is Coming to macOS
- Cruise ship off Norway evacuated due to strong winds, engine trouble