Later, when asked to explain the tweets by reporters during an Oval Office meeting with the visiting president of Brazil, Jair Bolsonaro, Trump said "I was never a fan of John McCain and I never will be".
The President tweeted several attacks on the late senator, focusing on McCain's ties to the controversial Russian Federation dossier and his vote against repealing Obamacare, and said McCain had been "last in his class" at the US Naval Academy. McCain gave a copy of the first 33 pages of the dossier to the Federal Bureau of Investigation in December 2016, which Fox News said was confirmed by former senior counterintelligence Federal Bureau of Investigation agent Bill Priestap in a newly released filing.
Trump received a series of deferments to avoid serving in Vietnam, including one attained with a physician's letter stating that he suffered from bone spurs in his feet.
The President's tweets prompted a swift reaction from McCain's daughter Meghan McCain, who responded on Twitter that "no one will ever love you the way they loved my father".
Trump made three separate contributions totaling $5,600, in excess of the legal limit at the time, prompting the McCain campaign to refund $1,000, according to the Center for Responsive Politics.
Over the weekend, Trump took to Twitter to criticize McCain, who died of brain cancer in August at the age of 81. But the budget is a reflection of the White House's positions on research.
McCain shocked some by indirectly condemning Trump at her father's funeral, noting in her remarks that "America was always great".
"He campaigned, he told us hours before that he was going to repeal and replace and then for some reason - I think I understand the reason - he ended up going thumbs up", he continued.
Meghan McCain sounded off on Trump's tweet on "The View" on Monday, telling the president he'll never measure up to her dad.
"That tells you everything you need to know about his pathetic life right now", she added.
- Is Paris Jackson Hiding Hands on Red Carpet?
- Google 'Stadia' Video Game Streaming Service Coming to Canada in 2019
- President Recep Tayyip Erdogan criticised for insensitive content in Election Rallies
- Junket tourism
- White House Aide Says 'Absurd' to Link Mosque Shooter, Trump
- Saquon Barkley reveals Odell Beckham wasn't initially happy about the trade
- Trump praises Brazil's 'incredible' far-right president at White House
- Latest on the Christchurch mosque attack
- Is Mike Trout worth $430 million? The answer lies in the metrics
- Kazakh president who ruled since end of Soviet Union resigns