"They helped us to achieve those two incredible victories, they were so important and we hope they will help us again on Saturday in the same way".
Manchester City's quest for an unprecedented quadruple leaves Pep Guardiola with a perilous balancing act for tomorrow's trip to a Crystal Palace side that know how to shock the Premier League champions.
As with their recent league outings they had scored in the first 15 minutes, and as with those other fixtures they used that early goal as a foundation to keep things under their control. I knew we would produce a good performance here.
Sterling has 21 goals for City this season in all competitions and Guardiola praised his capability to shrug off incidents that don't go his way.
Then things threatened to get out of hand.
Cue a nervous finale.
City have five games left to play in the league while Liverpool have four remaining.
Guaita was in the thick of the action again when the ball fell to De Bruyne and he fired goalwards, and then Benjamin Mendy's strike was straight at the Palace keeper.
But Palace showed a flicker of attacking life soon afterwards, Milivojevic crossing and Christian Benteke heading down before City hacked clear. We've played with incredible personality in all the games, including the Champions League games.
If anybody at Anfield was keeping an eye on this game in the hope that City would slip up, they will be sorely disappointed. If they keep on winning, it does not matter what happens elsewhere and right now City are finding it hard not to keep on winning.
- Severe storms expected late Saturday night and Sunday morning
- Verstappen threatens Vettel: I'll screw up Ferrari's qualifying from now on
- Kim Jong Un says he’s open to another summit with Trump
- Allegri: Juventus Didn't Do Enough To Beat Ajax
- Jackets stun Lightning in opener | National Hockey League
- Israel Folau prepared to exit rugby without legal fight
- Kit Harington: The Game of Thrones finale will be sensational
- Ex-Obama WH counsel charged with lying in lobbying probe
- Samsung Galaxy S10 5G Has a Hard Time Using… 5G
- WH: Sending Migrants to 'Sanctuary Cities' Not Top Choice