Protesters will also descend on Marble Arch, Oxford Circus, Waterloo Bridge and Piccadilly Circus, hoping to force the government to declare a climate emergency.
Police arrest protesters on Waterloo Bridge.
At 11am, activist group Extinction Rebellion plans to block five busy locations in central London including Parliament Square, peacefully stopping traffic and kicking off a "festival" of protests including people's assembles, talks and performances.
Rowan McLaughlin, 47, a teacher, said this week's protests were more important that the huge pro and anti-Brexit protests in London recently.
"At this time, ongoing demonstrations are causing serious disruptions to public transport, local businesses and Londoners who wish to go about their daily business", Chief Supt.
Police said they had to strike the right balance between allowing the right to peaceful protest while ensuring disruption to communities was kept at a minimum. Extinction Rebellion have organised a nationwide week of action, they are calling for a full-scale Rebellion to demand decisive action from governments on climate change and ecological collapse. As a large group of officers arrived to remove the campaigners, they were met with chants of "We are peaceful what about you?"
"Make no mistake, people are already dying", the letter says. This crisis is only going to get worse Prime minister, you can not ignore this crisis any longer.
Among a total of 113 arrests, five people were detained on suspicion of criminal damage at Shell's headquarters. "We must act now".
Many protesters still remain on the bridge, chanting for climate justice and refusing to move.
"We have no intention of leaving until the government listens to us", he said.
The majority arrested were seized for breaching public order laws and obstructing a highway.
Reuben James, a 21-year-old Engineering student at Cardiff University, said he usually "wouldn't be against" getting arrested, but he had an exam in two weeks.
- At least two killed in plane crash in Nepal
- Microsoft might make "Surface Buds" as an AirPods alternative
- Google blocks TikTok in India, hurting Chinese startup
- Djokovic labors into Monte Carlo 3rd round with scrappy win
- Facebook Messenger introduces 'Dark Mode' for users globally
- Duke Basketball: Zion Williamson officially declares for the NBA Draft
- National Basketball Association playoffs 2019: Ranking the challengers to the Warriors
- Zidane: Madrid could sell a lot of players to make money
- Junket tourism
- Microsoft releases its first free-to-play Forza game, Forza Street