In this race previous year, Busch started from the rear for unapproved adjustments and led 32 laps to claim the win.
Truex led a race-high 186 laps and regained the lead for the last time after green-flag pit stops that started with just more than 80 laps to go.
"I was struggling the last 40 laps; had no front turn", Truex said. "Obviously, previous year was really good for us there, even though we didn't have the best vehicle there in the spring, (crew chief) Adam (Stevens) and the pit crew guys were able to put me in a good position to win and we capitalized on that, as well".
Truex gave Joe Gibbs Racing its sixth victory in nine races this season and won on a track shorter than a mile for the first time in his career.
Teammate Martin Truex Jr. has been close to winning with second-place finishes at Atlanta and Phoenix, and said Busch is on the kind of role that makes him seem invincible.
Where the short tracks are concerned, Kevin Harvick and his No. 4 Stewart-Haas Racing team appear to have turned a corner.
Alexander Rossi will try to win his second consecutive race through the streets of Long Beach from the pole. I was just real, real tight that last run.
At the very least, rain will be a threat for the NASCAR Cup Series race at Richmond. TOYOTA OWNERS 400 - to win here in a Toyota was huge.
When they all had new tires and enough fuel to finish, Truex was back in front, followed by Bowyer, Logano, Harvick and Hamlin.
"Sometimes in pro sports, you know, you get on a roll, things go well", Gibbs said.
Eight cars failed prerace inspection, including three that failed twice. They include the cars of local favorite Denny Hamlin, a three-time victor on the 0.75-mile oval, Chase Elliott and Matt Tifft. As a result, a team member for each of those teams, likely each team's race engineer, will be ejected upon the completion of inspection.
No racing next week for the Easter break. "A decent green-flag cycle got us up". "Tonight we didn't have the best auto, but we've lost some here with the best vehicle".
Kyle Busch finished eighth to push his top-10 streak to 11 races. The top four finishers in this race will be eligible for the bonus when the series races next at Talladega Superspeedway in two weeks.
- Elon Musk Tweets Out Another Tesla Forecast in Midst of SEC Talks
- Winx Closes Out Storied Career With 33rd Consecutive Victory
- Curry’s 38 points lead Warriors to Game 1 win over Clippers
- Messi's clash with Smalling like being 'hit by a truck' - Valverde
- 76ers fine Amir Johnson for looking at phone on bench
- Ocasio-Cortez quits Facebook, calling social media a 'public health risk'
- How Ernesto Valverde's men could line up against Manchester United
- Justice Department to make Mueller report public Thursday
- Trump says he will award Tiger Woods the Presidential Medal of Freedom
- Liverpool’s Mohamed Salah explains goal celebration against Chelsea