The world's largest aircraft, the Stratolaunch Launch Systems Stratolaunch, flew for the first time on Saturday, April 13, 2019.
Test pilot Evan Thomas flew the jet to speeds of about 173 mph, climbing as high as 15,000 feet before returning smoothly and safely back, after a almost two-and-a-half-hour flight.
The company, which was founded in 2011 by the late Paul Allen, has a contract with Northrop Grumman is use Stratolaunch to send its Pegasus XL rocket into space. Though Stratolaunch is the largest plane by wingspan, another craft, the helium-filled Airlander 10, takes the title of the longest aircraft now flying with a length of 302 feet (92 m). The flight lasted for about two and a half hours, in which it reached an altitude of 17,000 ft (5182 m) and a maximum speed of 189 mp/h (304 km/h), according to Stratolaunch Systems.
Stratolaunch, which was founded by Mr Allen, is vying to be a contender in the market for air-launching small satellites. "Today's flight furthers our mission to provide a flexible alternative to ground-launched systems".
The duel-fuselage Stratolaunch is created to fly to an altitude of 35,000 feet, where it can drop rockets that ignite their engines and boost themselves into orbit around the planet.
Saturday's first-ever test flight of Stratolaunch was flown by experimental test pilot Evan Thomas.
The idea is to fly the plane to 10 km (6.2 miles) before releasing satellites into orbit. "It's so huge, it seems like it shouldn't be able to fly", Jack Beyer, an aerospace and launch photographer for NASASpaceFlight.com, told CNN on Thursday.
While Stratolaunch calls its aircraft the world's largest, other airplanes exceed it in length from nose to tail.
Although the cost of the airplane hasn't been made public, other details are known. "People want to see what's next".
It is created to carry into space, and drop, a rocket that would in turn ignite to deploy satellites. The company initially planned to develop its own fleet of rockets but scrapped the plan in January, CNBC report says.
- Israel Folau prepared to exit rugby without legal fight
- Mo Salah Rocket Gives Liverpool Upperhand Against Chelsea
- LeBron, Carmelo, Chris Paul courtside for Wade’s last game
- Vader Immortal Official Trailer
- Allegri: Juventus Didn't Do Enough To Beat Ajax
- Severe storms expected late Saturday night and Sunday morning
- Man City left to question priorities for Crystal Palace visit
- Uber IPO Might Be Greatest Public Providing In Years
- Red-hot Magic set to face Raptors in Round 1 of National Basketball Association playoffs
- Tesla's $35,000 Model 3 just got even harder to buy